AutoCAD is a world-leading computer-aided design software that ships conceptual 2D and 3D design, while also providing flexible tools for creating rich model documentation. With its powerful modeling engine, AutoCAD maximizes the overall productivity and is the number one choice for architects, engineers, designers and artists.
AutoCAD embraces the 3D design concept, providing users with free-form drawing tools, as well as capabilities to build and customize surfaces, solids and meshes. Furthermore, the Autodesk Inventor Fusion (included as a plugin) enables users to edit and validate 3D models from various sources, without the need to export the projects manually (the plugin automatically exports the updated model in AutoCAD).
AutoCAD also reduces the design revision time considerably via the parametric drawing feature. By defining relationships between objects, your designs are automatically updated when a change occurs, no further adjustments required. Another one of AutoCAD’s specialties is the automatic documentation generator, useful in engineering projects for instance.
Amongst other features worth mentioning we count the associate array functionality (create a new array object that is associative by default), Autodesk exchange (online connection with the product; for help or information), and content explorer (index design content for quick access, catalog objects in each file, search for content in local folders).
As expected, AutoCAD provides users with a sophisticated and luxurious user interface that adopts the ribbon model, thus providing easier and faster access to the program’s functions. It requires a modern system configuration and patience during the installation process, but the efforts pay off eventually.
In conclusion, AutoCAD is worth exploring for its conceptual design features, speed and rich documentation toolset. With it, architects and engineers can virtually capture the reality and take design to a whole new level.
Here are some key features of “AutoCAD”:
· With the ribbon interface, overall drafting productivity is increased as the number of steps to reach a command is decreased. The ribbon interface presents command options in a concise visual format, allowing you to quickly select commands based on the work you’re doing.
· Moving between applications is now quick and intuitive. The ribbon is both customizable and expandable so that it can be optimized for each user and meet each company’s standards.
ViewCube and SteeringWheels:
· The ViewCube is an interactive tool used to rotate and orient any solid or surface model in AutoCAD. Selecting a face, edge, or corner of the cube brings the model quickly to that predefined orientation.
· Clicking and holding the ViewCube allows the model to be freely roated in any direction. Since the cube is in a fixed location on the screen, it provides at-a-glance orientation. The ViewCube will be introduced in all Autodesk products as a common tool for working with 3D models.
· In addition to allowing quick access to the orbit command, the new SteeringWheels tool allows quick access to the pan, center, and zoom commands. The SteeringWheels is highly customizable so you can add walk through commands to help create and record a walk-through of your model.
· Reviewing and working with several files is no longer a tedious and time-consuming process. The new menu browser interface allows you to browse files and examine thumbnail images and provides detailed information about file size and file creator. Plus, you can organize recently used files by name, date, or title.
· The new action recorder saves time and increases productivity by automating repetitive tasks without requiring the skill or assistance of a professional CAD manager. Users can quickly record a task, add text messages and requests for input, then quickly select and play back recorded files.
· The new layer dialog makes creating and editing layer properties faster and less prone to error. Changes are instantly reflected in the drawing as they are made in the dialog.
· The manipulation of the dialog box has been simplified, and columns in the dialog can be individually resized so the contents of that column or its title are not truncated. Individual columns can be fixed in place so that the rest of the columns can be scrolled through and referenced to a fixed column such as the layer name.
· The easily customizable quick properties menu increases productivity by reducing the steps to access properties information, ensuring that information presented is optimized for that particular user and project.
· The quick view feature uses thumbnails instead of file names, making opening the correct drawing file and layout faster and decreasing the time spent opening incorrect drawing files.